Saturday, February 9, 2019

Where is Charles?

Can you find Charles in this picture?
I love this photo, not because of its quality, but because it depicts who my buddy is.  When out and about I will occasionally take a photo of a sign I like.  Sometimes it is just the sign, sometimes it is the sign in its environment, and once in a while I will ask someone to be in the shot to give it a more personal touch.  Now, most people would wander on over to the sign and be a compliant subject, get their photo taken, and get on with the day.  Not my friend.  He likes to exert his character, which often means being silly.  Not only did he go hide behind the sign, which is not what I wanted, he stuck his hat on top of it.

Now, at this moment, as the photographer attempting to have some say in preparing a shot, I have two choices.  I could complain and turn a light-hearted gesture into an act of rebellion, or I could go with the flow.  To be honest, I laughed.  This was my friend.  A big guy with a playful side, and it is part of who he is.  This photograph shows that character, and whenever I see it I am reminded of all the silly, wonderful times we have had.

We ended up having a good day.  We saw lots, I got many great shots, and we all had fun.  It is not always easy going down a particular path when the desired outcome is elsewhere.  But sometimes you end up in a better place.  Having control is not always what is meant to be.  I think of that scene with Indiana Jones and the guy with the big curved scimitar.  He pulls it out to begin a lengthy battle, all eyes expecting chaos to follow, and "Indie" pulls out his trusty revolver and shoots the bad guy.  The truth in the scene, as far as I know, is that Harrison Ford needed a washroom break and thought it would be a way to get it.  It wasn't in the script, but Lucas and Spielberg loved it.  It wasn't the plan, but it ended up in the show.

That is what this moment was about.  Not what was planned, but what came about.  It was great, it was my friend, and it was perfect.  My buddy, Charles; the Indiana Jones of the moment.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

2 comments:

  1. Your friend Charles seems to be a lot like David was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which David - Including the one in the bible I must know 8 of them.

    ReplyDelete