Sunday, December 9, 2018

Visiting Jerry and Simone

s
Eric and Kathryn visiting Gerry and Simone Schuil
Look back into your past and think about all the people who have made a difference in your life.  As a child you had people who reached your heart and helped you navigate the challenges of growing up.  As an adolescent there were those who you loved and trusted and gave you a place to be safe and feel secure.  As a young adult who was trying to find their way, others accepted you unconditionally into their home and cared about you and taught you that you were valuable. 
Then there is today, a day when you think back to all those who made a difference in your life, in the lives of others.  Gerry and Simone are a couple who did exactly that for me.  There are many of them, and perhaps I will get around to talking about them eventually, but for today I want to say, "Thank you" to Gerry and Simone for caring and for being there when I needed someone.  They made a difference in my life by accepting me with all my quirks and oddities, and there are a few of them, and helped me find my way to where I am today.
We haven't seen them in 25 years; they moved back to New Zealand from where they came, and we have had the good fortune to be able to visit them.  What is amazing about the whole thing is that our relationship is still good; we continued where we left off and have enjoyed each others' company for the last week and a half.
It is strange how time changes people, and yet doesn't change them at all.  We both raised kids, both fostered careers, both served in church and have both seen 25 years pass in what seems like a blink of an eye.  So many more experiences and changes, yet there is something that remains.  Caring.  Real caring.  That's what makes the difference.  It is the same now as it was then, in spite of the time and events, we still care about each other.  I think that is what true friends are all about, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment