Sunday, May 5, 2019

River Rats Run Rampant

Maple Ridge Alliance Church  -  River Rats baseball team at play.
Yesterday, from 3:45 until 7:30, the River Rats, a church fielded baseball team, was at play in the Langley Christian Baseball League.  We (me included) played three games in a row on Saturday; some of us were still feeling the strained muscles and sore bodies from our game on Friday, the previous day.   Not that those things prevented everyone from showing up.  Commitment to team and a naturally competitive spirit allowed each to rise above such minor annoyances.  Besides, no one wanted to be a wuss.

The weather was excellent, as was the company, and I very much enjoyed playing in a league where winning, although desirable, was not the ultimate achievement.  I found the comradery between players, on both sides, jovial and light-hearted.  There was the usual banter found in baseball, with a side of good-natured ribbing thrown in.  I gave as good as I got, and no one left with hurt feelings.  I suppose the exception to that was my legs - the feelings in them were plenty hurt.

I am far from an accomplished player.  In the spectrum between novice to professional I fall between incompetent and almost useful.  I felt I made a few good plays, and I have to admit to a certain primal satisfaction at smacking the ball at what, for me, was a considerable distance.  The fact it made it past the infield was worthy of being remembered in a song of lore, or maybe having my name inscribed in the sand somewhere.  I also can attest to making it past first base when my turn to bat was up, but only because I was walked, and a lady was next to bat.  If you don't know what I am talking about, let me fill you in a bit.

I never played baseball, other than scrub, as a kid, but I feel I have a good grasp of the rules.  I have to tell you though that the rule book for this league must put the New York Telephone Directory to shame for its size.  There is a rule for every conceivable play.  There are rules for what a foul ball looks like.    A foul ball after two strikes makes you out.  Pitches have to be higher than this but lower than that, and that is before the ball even gets to the plate.  Outfielders have to stay behind a certain line when a lady bats, and they can't throw them out at first base by a direct toss.  Then there is the lady on deck rule I previously mentioned.  If the batter is walked, he or she gets two bases.

Admittedly, much of the jargon and language used during the game was lost on me.  It did not stop me from having fun though, and I felt well supported by my colleagues who summoned all kinds of positive banter when I was involved in a play.  It is nice to be accepted, even appreciated, when you are not the top one out there, or even close to that.  That, to me, is a true mark of sportsmanship.


No comments:

Post a Comment