Monday, May 27, 2019

What difference a person makes.

Eric Svendsen with Leanne in the background, 2008.
When I retired from teaching, I had a question.  "What difference had I made?"  I put 27 years in at Garibaldi Secondary School and had another three years elsewhere.  You would think that would have produced a significant impact on the lives of others, at least on some.  But I struggled to come up with any viable examples.

Oh sure, I had taught, but I am not talking about just doing my job.  Outside of imparting my fiduciary duties, had I personally done something to change the lives of someone for the better?  And not just at school, but in the community as a whole.  There is an important distinction between existing in your community mediocrely and existing while having a positive impact outside of whatever niche you happen to be filling.  I was involved in clubs and available outside of classroom hours while working and contributed to the world as a whole where I could.  My main focus, of course, had to be my family.  Their needs must come first.  But even there, was I doing more than just being around?

We went to Edmonton a few months ago to visit my son and his wife of two years.  We hopped from place to place after our visit and reconnected with people from our past.  Our sojourns led us through a time-warp of sorts, with a heavy sense of deja vu.  It was during one of these becoming reaquainted opportunities that something remarkable happened.  I found out that I had made a difference, over thirty years after the fact.

My involvement with youth at church, one of the experiences which led me into teaching, had repercussions beyond my imagination.    I had impacted the lives of those I had contact with, and my existence had done more than to just fill a void.  I had influenced someone to make a choice, which led them to impact the community positively and with passion.  The ripples of me in the world were spreading outward.  The best part of this was that it was not something I expected.  I did not know that my presence and essence created a continuing legacy.

There are a few important things to take away from this.  The first is that we all make a difference in the lives of others; we may never know exactly what that is but rest assured it is there.  To make a difference though you have to do more than just exist.  You have to invest time and energy into your environment, with passion and care.  The second is the kind of influence you will be. 

The world is filled with people making a difference, but not in a good way.  Harmful, selfish, and seeking to quench desires of the ego, such individuals rob others of edification.  On the other hand, there are those seeking to make the world a better place.  Most of us would fit into this category.  We want to have a positive impact, for our footprints to produce ripples benefitting those around us. 

Whatever you do, whether job, family, or community related, do it with passion, kindness, and love.  Rest assured, you will make a positive difference, even though you may never know exactly what that is.


No comments:

Post a Comment